The Monuments were badly damaged, but thanks to the zeal of the architect, Mr. W. Godfrey, they were mostly saved and restored. Among those commemorating the great families who lived in Chelsea and the most notable are:
On the South side is the Dacre Monument (1595) to Gregory Fiennes, Lord Dacre of the south, and his wife Ann Sackville, who inherited the Chelsea properties of Sir Thomas More and founded the Emanuel Charity which now supports a boys' Grammar School in Battersea. Recently cleaned, conserved and restored.
The mutilated tomb (1555) in the S.E. corner of the More Chapel commemorates Jane Guildford, Duchess of Northumberland, who was the mother-in-law of Lady Jane Grey, the mother of Queen Elizabeth's favourite Leicester, and the grandmother of Sir Philip Sidney.
The monument to Sir Thomas More (1532) stands in the Sanctuary against the South wall. The inscription was composed by Sir Thomas More himself, commemorating his first wife and expressing the wish that he and his second wife should be buried in the same tomb. He was beheaded in 1535; his head is known to be in Canterbury. Unsubstantiated tradition states that his daughter, Margaret Roper, brought his body to Chelsea for burial at the Old Church.
Margaret Roper, Magdalen Herbert, Mary Astell, Elizabeth Blackwell
Margaret Roper (née More) (1505–1544) was an English writer and translator, she was the first non-royal woman to publish a book she had translated into English
Magdalen Herbert d1627 an intimate friend of John Donne’s and mother of the poets Sir Edward Herbert and George Herbert.
Mary Astell 1666 – 1731 was one of the first English women to advocate the idea that women were just as rational as men, and just as deserving of education, she founded a charity school for girls in Chelsea
Elizabeth Blackwell d1758. She made a significant contribution to medical knowledge and to the art of botanical illustration. Her multi-volume work, 'A curious herbal', published in the 1730s, was an invaluable resource for doctors and apothecaries in the 18th century and beyond. 'A curious herbal' is one of the earliest botanical books to have been compiled by a woman.
On the North side of the Chancel in a recess is the tomb of Sir Edmund, first Lord Bray (1539) and heir to the Sir Reginald Bray who was Master of Works to Henry VII and in charge of the building of Henry VII's Chapel at Westminster and St. George's Chapel at Windsor.
Above is the Hungerford Monument(1581),a family monument very similar to that of Sir Thomas Lawrence in the North Chapel.
Sir Thomas Lawrence, Goldsmith and Merchant Adventurer of the City of London, is commemorated (1593) in his chapel.
His eldest daughter, Sara Colvile, is also commemorated there (1632), and is depicted rising in her grave clothes from the tomb.
At the East end of the Lawrence Chapel is the monument (1632) to Sir Robert Stanley, son-in-law of Sir Arthur Gorges, whose brass is in the North wall of the More Chapel.
Within the West arched entrance of the Lawrence Chapel is the triumphal arch (1563) commemorating Richard Jervoise.
On the North side of the Nave is the memorial to Lady Jane Cheyne (1669), daughter of the Duke of Newcastle, and a great benefactor to this Church and the village of Chelsea. The memorial is the work of the Italian artist Bernini's studio
An American novelist and naturalized Englishman, Henry James was an important figure in transatlantic literary culture of the day. Born on April 15, 1843, in New York City, Henry James became one of his generation's most well-known writers and remains so to this day for such works as The Portrait of a Lady and The Turn of the Screw. Having lived in England for 40 years, James became a British subject in 1915, the year before his death. He died on February 28, 1916, in London, England.
J Woolley, J C Griffith, J W Lambe and William Bruce
Who were drowned opposite this Church through the swamping of their boat in a squall of wind 1839
The only chained books in any London Church were
the gift of Sir Hans Sloane (1661-1753), and consist of the Vinegar Bible
(1717), two volumes of Foxe's Book of Martyrs (1684), a Prayer Book (1723) and