Rediscovered Medieval Stained Glass Window
If the window returned from V&A before WWII, when the Church was bombed, it may have been destroyed, however enquiries were made to V&A to see whether they have records of the window's fate, yes, they returned it in 1922.
The top two were Maurice Drake restorations, the third the 1320 medieval window which is still curved having been folded within another longer window. The fourth the remains of the wording added in 1922.
The inscription at the bottom says:
To the glory of God and in memory of the unknown saints who for centuries have worshipped Him in this place. This window was uncovered on St Bartholomew day 1922 was recreated 1923.
The 14th century glass of this window was originally in the western light of the eastern most window in the north wall of the Lawrence Chapel that was blocked up with the Colvile monument around 1632 but monument later moved and window covered but then discovered behind layers of plaster in August 1922.
All of the window is now at Canterbury Cathedral stained glass studio for conservation advice and awaits the raising of funds to complete the project by displaying it in it's original window in the Lawrence Chapel.
The Cartouche in the north window of the Lawrence Chapel is German or Flemish of the 16th century.
The panels in the north and south windows at the westernmost end of the Nave are of 17th century Flemish stained glass which are described as; The 17th century Flemish Glass in this window and window opposite was presented by Matilda Jane Widow of Grosvenor Thomas in 1925.
The latin inscription literally translates as